Thursday, August 02, 2012

Help bring Oak Lawn's Arena Lanes Bowling Alley Back To Our Neighborhood People! Formerly Oak Lawn's Brunswick Bowl on 103rd Street


Hoping you can get some kind of message out like the one I have been sending to the 5,000+ subscribers to my Neighborhood Newsletter, about 1,600 of which live in Mt. Greenwood, Merrionette Park, Beverly and Evergreen Park.

I am a Trustee in Oak Lawn and have been waging a 6-year battle against Brunswick Corporation over the gangster hang-out they used to call the Brunswick Zone.

Two weeks ago Bill Bard (son of the original owner from the 1960s) took back the ownership and management of the bowling alley from Brunswick Corporation. The Bards are the family who built and lived in the home at 104th & Central Park with the bowling alley in the basement.

For those who have lived in this area for a long time, especially those living near the bowling alley, this without question has to be one of the GREATEST DEVELOPMENTS in the history of this neighborhood. It certainly is for me, even though I have only lived here for the past 12 years.

Because in my capacity as Oak Lawn’s 6th District Trustee I get all the police reports for incidents in this area, and the bowling alley is in the 6th District. TRUST ME when I say that the former “Brunswick Zone” was without questions the #1 criminal problem in our area for the past decade. Ask any Oak Lawn cop, any Evergreen Park cop, or any CPD form the 22nd District and they will tell you the same.

At first it was just a problem with punks, drunks and miscreants, then with gangster-wannabe's, and eventually it became a haven and hang-out for real gang-bangers, culminating in the violent shoot-out on 103rd Street in the summer of 2010 between 2 of Chicago’s hardest-core street gangs.

Since 2006 I have railed against Brunswick Corporation because I believed – and stated publicly – that Brunswick was purposefully marketing to these people with their urban night club atmosphere. Almost every offender arrested at Brunswick lived several miles away and often drove past several bowling alleys - through Evergreen Park, Mt. Greenwood, Beverly, etc. - to get to the “bowling alley” in Oak Lawn.

Things got pretty heated between Brunswick executives and me, and I even had to deal with other Village board members who were apologists for Brunswick’s bullshit.

Into this battle marched Bill Bard, the son of the guy who started Arena Lanes back in the 60s. I had never met nor talked to Bill Bard, but he later informed me that he frequently sat in on the Village board meetings when the debates with and about Brunswick took place. Bill still owned the bowling alley property and the offices that sit alongside it, and he told me he had enough of the problems as well.

When Brunswick tried to play hard-ball with Bill over their recent lease renewal, Bill decided not to renew their lease. And the problems there have almost completely disappeared. It wasn't unusual to have 4 and 5 police calls there in a WEEK a few years ago.

KEY TAKEAWAY FROM THIS

This isn't just about bowling - this is about NEIGHBORHOODS. And doing what we can to keep them safe, and to make them unattractive to criminals and gang-bangers by filling the place with families and children and actual bowling.

If the people of our community can make an effort to go there – to bowl, have parties, host fundraisers, etc - we could go a long way in helping Bill Bard and Arena Lanes re-establish themselves as the family-oriented entertainment destination they were always supposed to be, and that Bill Bard wants them to be.

Finally, for all the Facebook people out there, would you please do the following:

1. Click on the Arena Lanes Facebook page and “Like” it: https://www.facebook.com/ArenaLanes

2. Click on the Arena Lanes web site, look for the Facebook icon, and then “Share” the web site with your FB Friends: http://arenalanes.com/

As the legendary Fred Rogers was fond of saying………..

“It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood!!!!!”

THANKS!

Tom Phelan

-------------------------------------------

"Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you really are; your reputation is what people think you are, and is subject to the efforts of others to sully that reputation." John Wooden

43 comments:

Joe Vogrich for OL mayor said...

Awesome! I grew up bowling and playing video games there and I loved it. No niggers or nothing it was the most Buetiful sight not seeing these savages destroying my neighborhood! Great job bill and Tom . I'm in evergreen now but still haven't left OL behind. Please let the other trustees know about chucky nigger cheese maybe we can have a fund raiser for the purchase of some c4 and level this shithole and bring back showbiz with a nice big neon sign saying " no niggers" ! Re elect joe Vogrich he was the best!!!!

Anonymous said...

Look at the facts, when an area starts changing the fist to go bad are the social attractions.

Bars, Bowling alleys and parks. Just look at Mt Greenwood Park. next thing you know those that are left will have a sign in the front window saying, We love Mt Greenwood we are staying. Look how that worked out for Dolton!

Anonymous said...

Wonder if something like this would work on problem bars and clubs?

Anonymous said...

It will just bring more niggers into the area, just like Chucky Cheeses. I vote NO

Anonymous said...

As good as this sounds, saving a bowling alley, it may be too late to save the village of Oak Lawn from the influx of criminals.

Aldo Raine said...

How about segregating certain neighborhoods just like they once were? Keep the Mudman and illegal Beaner daughter-rapers out and watch things remain nice. Why stop at bowling alleys and select businesses? Whole neighborhoods should be off limits to certain races. Trust me when I say they don't want to live around normal people, instead preferring the company of other useless, non-contributing motherfuckers. The productive members of society shouldn't have to be force-fed these Goddamned leeches, let alone support them as they're allowed to destroy communities at will.

Aldo Raine

Anonymous said...

MOVE YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.

I Voted For Obama said...

I hope they can turn that place around.

Anonymous said...

I just noticed the other day that the sign now says Arena Lanes again. I seriously cheered out loud in the car as I drove by.

I've lived in Oak Lawn for 39 years now, so I remember how things used to be. I spent a LOT of time at Arena Lanes, and was always on a league team as a kid. I waited all week for Saturday morning, so I could go bowling with my friends.

I was just disgusted by what was happening at The Brunswick Zone. About 3 years ago, I had the misfortune of having to go there after the Mother/Son Dance at Br. Rice. Unfortunately, the woman who planned the "after party" planned it there. We arrived to find nothing but savages, starting with the groups hanging out in the parking lot, to the hoards inside the building. We were a group of 10 (the whole group from BR was maybe about 100?) and we left after about 15 minutes. I felt like I was in the middle of Englewood! (I'm speaking from experience, a CPS teacher who has taught in Englewood for the past 15 years) I felt like crying when we left there because of how far down in the shitter that place had gone.

But, now, I'm THRILLED to see Bill Bard is trying to bring things back to where they used to be. I will be doing all I can to bring them business!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to Mr. Bill Bard.....one can't say, however, they drive through neighborhoods like Beverly, Mt.Greenwood, etc. to reach Oak Lawn....heck they drive through other neighborhoods to get to Beverly..we can't stop folks from doing that...remember, Chick-fil-A.

We do empathize with you to maintain your neighborhood and the Arena Lanes Bowling Alley is one of the finest...Much luck to y'all.and us too.

Anonymous said...

Can't a nigger barrier be placed in front of the building. Plus a neon sign which reads "whites only".

Anonymous said...

Let's work on getting rid of the "section ape" also...

Anonymous said...

Bullshit. This area is condemned to becoming all-nigger and your blonde-haired daughters will ALL be carrying Nigger babies before their 18th birthday. Swallow that pill soon whitey....you might as well stop having kids because your grandkids will all be half-nigger and change your european last name to Obama. Laugh all you want - its the future for ALL of americ. The cancer has metastasized beyond repair.

Anonymous said...

when i go there i piss in the bowling balls and on the carpet. i love your bowling "ALLEY" !!! Sometimes i get lucky and get knob job from one of your fine irish women!

Anonymous said...

Brunswick is going to buy bleekers

Anonymous said...

you are a bright boy. Here is to your mama sucking my cock then spitting my nut shake in your face! "i hope they turn that...." lol lame

Anonymous said...

Segregation IS the Answer !

Anonymous said...

Segregation IS the Answer !

Big you know who said...

Don't worry Mt. Greenwood, Beverly, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Alsip, and the rest of the south suburbs will be OURS you white folks will just keep moving until hopefully you fall in the ocean, lol.

Anonymous said...

Ya - last time I went there with some friends, I did not like the vibe or the clientele.


Never returned, and that was years ago.

KKK All The Way said...

Big you know who said...
Don't worry Mt. Greenwood, Beverly, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Alsip, and the rest of the south suburbs will be OURS you white folks will just keep moving until hopefully you fall in the ocean, lol.

August 2, 2012 11:00 PM the only ocean we will be going to is the one to dump your lifeless nigger bodies in.the ones shark and other creatures of the deep won't touch.they can float on back to africa!! and then you can truly be afroid americant's!!.we may fall into the ocean a brief moment from laughing @ your dead asses or lifting your 300+ pound nigger women

Anonymous said...

Build a fence become a gated community....

Anonymous said...

#1 All of these bars..including 115 Bourbon Street must stop playing black music. It attracts them like a bug light. They don't want to be in any place that does not have jungle drums beating loudly.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Mt. Greenwood, Beverly, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Alsip, and the rest of the south suburbs will be OURS you white folks will just keep moving until hopefully you fall in the ocean, lol.

August 2, 2012 11:00 PM

Cool nigger!!!

Then there will be no tax paying citizen's fueling your link card to support you walking turds and within 5 years you will self destruct. It will be the like you niggers all just died of AIDS. We burn your bodies for our cars that run on nigger blood and ashy skin. Energy crises solved and niggers gone, perfect. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Make some niggers good, take back ur hood!Why do we keep moving from these savages stand your ground play their game.......you know bowl!IT'S COMING................

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Tom " Falo " Phelan. Your hard work paid off.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Tom " Falo " Phelan. Your hard work paid off.

Director of food and beverage said...

Well Mr. Trustee,where are the bowling alleys in Mt. Greenwood and Beverly located that these thugs pass up to come into Oaklawn?There are none! Bleekers Bowl is located in evergreen park and on certain days it's almost comprised entirely of black patrons for league play. Very well behaved I might add ,because I've been in the bar while "they" were bowling. Well newsflash rookie trustee,Bleekers is closing it's doors soon. Then what. The nearest bowling alley is Bluebird at 87 th Pulaski,and it's much too small and has an older established group of bowlers. And then there's the

bowling alley in Blueisland,and both their clientele is
almost all black. If it's open" they "will be there. Your crusade is 15-20 years too late. You hack!

Anonymous said...

My Dad bowled there twice a week and I bowled on Saturday morning.I mean I LIVED THERE and Barcus' drugstore during the early sixties.My Dad got to know Mr.Bard and Billy and they were very nice folks.My Dad also got to be such good friends with Mr Barcus that he was my Confirmation sponser at Queen of Martyrs in 1961.My Dad bowled with the Q of M Holy Name league and I bowled with the Oak Lawn American Legion.Some of the happiest years of my life.I absolutly will support you.

Anonymous said...

This Phelan guy is an asshole trust me... He wants to cut Police and Fire in the Village.....

Typical power hungry, egomaniac politician..Looking to pad his pockets.

Buy the way Phelan get a new "RUG" you Douche-bag!!!!

Anonymous said...

Once it goes black, it'll never go back.

Anonymous said...

My Dad bowled there twice a week and I bowled on Saturday morning.I mean I LIVED THERE and Barcus' drugstore during the early sixties.My Dad got to know Mr.Bard and Billy and they were very nice folks.My Dad also got to be such good friends with Mr Barcus that he was my Confirmation sponser at Queen of Martyrs in 1961.My Dad bowled with the Q of M Holy Name league and I bowled with the Oak Lawn American Legion.Some of the happiest years of my life.I absolutly will support you.

August 3, 2012 12:11 PM

I appreciate your memories, but I have the same of Roseland, and it never came back, probably never will in my life time.
Bail out of this crooked state, county, city, and surrounding suburbs. WI,IN,MO,AK,AZ,NV...anywhere but here.It's tough to cut ties, but so be it.
Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

what is so dam hard? Just make up a banner"NO MORE NIGGERS" and hang it up. I dont see a problem with it

Anonymous said...

Duh, because the Motherfuckers are dangerous, Out of Control Savages, the Police do little or nothing to control them, they're too obnoxious and unsafe to be around, rhey are foull-mouthed and rude around Children, are ignorant and filthy, have no respect or regard for anyone, start trouble over the slightest little issue, and are all Obama-Voting Communists with chips on their shoulders. Still need a few more reasons ?

Anonymous said...

SEGREGATION IS THE ANSWER.
Whites, demand Segregation now. Save America from total destruction

Anonymous said...

Make Bourbon St a Country Western Bar. Nigs cant stand White Man music

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah Dumb Coon, like Mt Greenwood is some big prize to live in. You stupid Shines have the whole Lakefront, all the nice parts of the City to live, yet you move here. Why? Because you're STUPID, Shit for Brains.

Anonymous said...

Whites, Demand Segregation, NOW. Allow No more destruction of our once beautiful neighborhoods, by the filthy, imbred Pavement Apes

Anonymous said...

Tirn it into a Library. No Nigros will come near it

Anonymous said...

Why not cut the FD in OL and hire more cops to watch the niggers. Really now why all those fireman for OL they really don't do shit. Cut that dept in half fuck all those political jobs

Anonymous said...

Fuck it, I sold my house $$$$ You save the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Good name, great movie...so tell me...the lil guy, he wouldnt be fucking the jews wife would he?

I Voted For Obama said...

Yes, I am a bright boy.