Saturday, July 21, 2012

Longtime Sun-Times columnist Stella Foster to retire

Stella Foster took on BLACK ON BLACK CRIME and BLACK CRIME... She told it like it was... God bless you Stella... You'll be missed!

Stella Foster, the often blunt-speaking Sun-Times columnist known for punctuating her pieces with “Yeah I said it,” announced Friday she’s retiring after nearly 43 years at the paper.

“You know I’ve been at the paper for four decades or more and I’ve been on deadline all my life,” she said. “I’m leaving because it’s time to leave. ... I’m retiring to relax and enjoy myself.”

She notified Sun-Times newsroom management Friday that her last day will be Aug. 6th.

Reflecting on her years at the paper, she said: “I write what I care about most about — about the common, everyday man that’s trying to make it out here.”

She added, “I like talking about black-on-black crime, that [President Barack] Obama needs to get up and speak out about it. These are the things I take the most joy and pride in,” she said.

Born in Chicago and raised in the Englewood community, she attended Chicago’s public schools. In August 1969 Foster’s sister, Jamie Foster Brown, told her that the legendary Sun-Times columnist Irv Kupcinet was looking for a new secretary. She interviewed for the job and got it.

For 34 years, Stella was Kup’s assistant as well as his confidante, she has said. As his health deteriorated, she took over the bulk of the writing duties and was given a byline at the end of the column. Since his death in 2003, she has penned “Stella’s Column,” which she frequently signed off with “Well, that’s Stella in the City!”

In 2011, Foster was honored with the Chicago Journalists Association’s lifetime achievement award. The group called Foster a “consummate journalist. . . . She knows what makes Chicago tick.”

“Stella has been a wonderful part of the Sun-Times family for more than four decades,” Sun-Times Editor-in-Chief Jim Kirk said. “Her column, her incredible connection to the community will be greatly missed. But we also understand her desire to retire and wish her nothing but success and happiness going forward.”

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't Irv Numb-nut's successor take on Black-on-WHITE crime?

It was probably that stanky orifice Mary Mitchell who had her downplay the events against Whites in Shitcago.


Annoyed In Illinois

Aldo Raine said...

This just in....this website sucks my bleached asshole

Anonymous said...

off topic shave.wanna bet if the teachers go out that the stationary engs stay in.LOCAL 399 the biggest scabs ever,loads of old country micks that have one thing in mind FUCK YANKS AND GET AS MUCH AS THEY CAN FROM THE SYSTEM,CAUGHT their act during Nam.if they thought they would be drafted they got a withdrawal card and left for ireland or canada, FUCK THEM.

Anonymous said...

off topic shave.wanna bet if the teachers go out that the stationary engs stay in.LOCAL 399 the biggest scabs ever,loads of old country micks that have one thing in mind FUCK YANKS AND GET AS MUCH AS THEY CAN FROM THE SYSTEM,CAUGHT their act during Nam.if they thought they would be drafted they got a withdrawal card and left for ireland or canada, FUCK THEM.

Anonymous said...

Big fan!!

Anonymous said...

The city is gone and its all my white fault I'm responsible for all of the blacks problems.eat. my dirty white asshole

Anonymous said...

Who is the area central detective on days,that,is,the,iaD,snitch

Anonymous said...

Telling the truth is in short supply today in the media. Too bad there are not more like Stella Foster reporting the news. Thanks for your service and compassion.

Anonymous said...

Vampira Mary Mitchell on the other hand will NEVER retire. They will have to carry her out in a cardboard box. As long as Moo & Oink is closed she will live forever.

Anonymous said...

The Sun-Times is all bur worthless.

Another decent staffer jumped ship and moved on.

Enjoy some R&R Foster. 40 years on the job earned her that. God bless and good luck.

Anonymous said...

yes she did
but how often would suntimes let her comment
i'm sure they whimpered and whined
when she did report it
"it makes us (chicago) look bad
as pointed out in other blogs(SCC)
other U.S. newspapers point out our crime is high
but do suntimes and chicago trib report it?
only when they are against the wall
i bet Jessie and Father Flukey as well as Louie Farrakhan are happy she is going out

Anonymous said...

Nothing against Stella, whenever the Sun-Times decided to publish her column, I read it. I suspect
the S-T pushed her out as a cost-saving measure.
It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anonymous said...

An area 1 Dick is giving a lot of info to iaD the Dick has been caught on a lot of violations.

Anonymous said...

im gonna have to disagree with you shaved.i never saw her on tv,but her column should be called....*all about nigs*....this giant black rhinocerous wont be missed by me.every column she has pictures of 3 or 4 nigs and 1 white person or hispanic.check it out.you can tell who the slum times caters to.and this cunt can take the whiny bleeding-asshole-liberal steinberg with her.

Anonymous said...

The City of Chicago is not and will never be what it was. Gone forever are "neighborhoods." Often delinated by neighborhood bakeries, deli's, parks, bars and churches. How many of you can document how your family has moved out of neighborhood after neighborhood as the blight, crime and shit advanced upon you. How many great neighborhoods have fallen. You can say what you want about old mayor Daley but he tried to stem the tide by erecting the old High Rise projects. That worked for a while but the shit just kept moving. They hate you but want to live next to you. I am free too - I reserve the right to live next to the people I find share my beliefs and values. I do not want Malcom Whitehead and his 15 children having a family reunion on the front lawn with the old garbage can barbeque next to my house. I do not want Malcom's kids crawling through my bedroom window looking for soemthing to "find". If that makes me bigoted - I guess I am.

Anonymous said...

An area 1 Dick is giving a lot of info to iaD the Dick has been caught on a lot of violations.
-----------------------------------
Word is a lot of guys are going to be going down and not just in Area 1 - U.S. Attorney has been notified. Lookout!!!

Anonymous said...

Going down for what,this time

Anonymous said...

hey shaved - i had to go find the follow-up to this story myself - did you cover this? http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/21/third-teen-charged-in-rape-of-woman-outside-congress-theater/

Anonymous said...

". I do not want Malcom's kids crawling through my bedroom window looking for soemthing to "find". If that makes me bigoted - I guess I am."

That makes you share the common experience of not wishing to be a victim of crime. That is fairly standard for all humans.

Anonymous said...

STELLA!!!!

Marlon B.

Det. Shaved Longcock said...

RE:
Anonymous said...
hey shaved - i had to go find the follow-up to this story myself - did you cover this? http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/21/third-teen-charged-in-rape-of-woman-outside-congress-theater/

July 21, 2012 4:58 PM

-------------------

YES I COVERED THIS WITH A FEW DIFFERENT POSTS

Anonymous said...

YEA I SAID IT!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember those wonderful old neighborhoods. A corner store, Bakery, A commercial shopping distrit. Most were ethnic, but many times made up of people of different ethnic groups. We all lived together in harmony because we all had the same values no matter what language your parents or grandparents spoke. That's what's different now and what destroyed those neighborhoods. Value systems at odds with ours. It will never get better until the minorities asssimilate. That means taking responibility and raising a family with our value system.

Anonymous said...

12;59 pm Fuck you and take your meds.

I Voted For Obama said...

Stella Foster better not say anything else bad about Obama.

Anonymous said...

oink oink