Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Carl Johan Nurmi holds 12 helicopter speed records.... but 13 is UNLUCKY - He's dead in Helicopter crash

USA / CALIFORNIA - A pilot who held national and international speed records was identified as the man killed in a helicopter crash in Riverside County on Monday.

Coroner's officials identified the victim as Carl Johan Nurmi, of Corona, and said he was piloting the single-engine Robinson R22 helicopter when it crashed about 10:15 a.m.

The helicopter went down in a field in the Winchester area off Borel and Buck roads, about five miles east of the French Valley Airport, said Deputy Albert Martinez of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. A passenger whose name has not been released suffered minor injuries.

An investigation into the crash is ongoing.

Nurmi, who had more than 24 years of flying experience and held 12 helicopter speed records, is the owner of USA Academy of Aviation, a helicopter flight school based out of the French Valley Airport, according to the school's website.

Travis Reid, 21, of Temecula, told the Press-Enterprise he was a former student of Nurmi's and also was a co-pilot on three of the world record flights.

"The way he died, it was the perfect way for him," Reid said. "The helicopter was not a machine to him. It was an extension of him."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee dont they teach pilots how to autorotate anymore?

Anonymous said...

Turned right when I should have turned left. Oooops!

I Voted For Obama said...

Carl Johan Nurmi voted for Obama, then asked him if he could be his personal helicopter pilot.

Anonymous said...

I thought that might have been "House" who crashed his chopper. Glad to hear it wasn't! Who would feed the goats?

Anonymous said...

#1-#12 so far so good.

#13 so far so go.....

Anonymous said...

It's just we used to say in the Army- "I can't believe he crashed, he was our best pilot!"

Anonymous said...

WTF is wrong with you guys, A man dies in a crash and all you have is stupid jokes.

" Gee dont they teach pilots how to autorotate anymore?" - Retard, it was close to the ground when it happened and Johan has over 11'000 hours.

Obama joke really? Lame Mother fuc#er

I Voted For Obama said...

I'm not lame. I walk just fine.

Anonymous said...

It is not funny, we knew this man he trained my son how to fly, and he was the best helicopter pilot anyone ever knew. As far as autorotations, he could do them in his sleep. A man dies and all you can make is stupid comments. There is something so wrong with our culture. This is reality, this man was a real person, with a real wife.

Jessie Hales said...

I do not know Carl Johan Nurmi nor have I heard about him before. But I believe we ought to pay our respects to him; holding 12 helicopter speed records is not an easy feat.

Henry Ramos said...

God Speed my Friend...I will always remember you and never forget what you have gave me ....Passion for flying,wisdom for teaching & most of all ...the blessing of "Jesus"

Henry Damian Ramos (CFI Helicopter)

Henry Ramos said...

God Speed my Friend...I will always remember you and never forget what you have gave me ....Passion for flying,wisdom for teaching & most of all ...the blessing of "Jesus"

Henry Damian Ramos (CFI Helicopter)