Sunday, June 03, 2012

The original 'Family Feud' host Richard Dawson dies at 79 - He was also on Hogan's Heroes

Richard Dawson, the longtime "Family Feud" game-show host and "Hogan's Heroes" actor, has died in Los Angeles. He was 79.

His son, Gary Dawson, announced his death via Facebook.

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away [Saturday] evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered," Gary Dawson wrote.

Richard Dawson was born in England on Nov. 20, 1932. He was perhaps best known for hosting "Family Feud for nine years in the 1970s and 1980s and then again shortly in the 1990s.


According to the Associated Press, the audience gave him a standing ovation during his final show.

"Please sit down. I have to do at least 30 minutes of fun and laughter and you make me want to cry," Dawson said at the time. "I've had the most incredible luck in my career. I never dreamed I would have a job in which so many people could touch me and I could touch them."

The Times will have a full obituary later Sunday.

12 comments:

I Voted For Obama said...

Richard Dawson voted for Obama, then kissed him and asked him what the survey said.

Anonymous said...

He was dead to me after I watched the first episode of hogans heros.... IT SUCKED!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Another Brit who realized his American dream. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

i always heard he was a sword swallower.

Anonymous said...

Howie mandell should take some lessons

Anonymous said...

He seemed like the King of Fags!

Ron Huberman (butt buddy)

Anonymous said...

I think Col. Hogan "dinked" Cpl. Newkirk on many occasions.
Watch the re-runs.

Anonymous said...

I also believe at one time, years ago, he was briefly in the running to replace Carson as the Tonight Show host.

Anonymous said...

he always looked drunk

Anonymous said...

LIKED WHEN HE CAME ON A CERTAIN SHOW AND SAID HE RECEIVED THE MOST REVERED DOCUMENT A MAN COULD EVER RECEIVE, AND THEN STATED HE JUST BECAME A U S CITIZEN AND PRODUCED A U S PASSPORT,REAL CLASS ACT. RIP

Anonymous said...

My fondest memory of Richard and the Family Fued was from about 1980 when they had 2 families, one white and one black. All the contestants were polite and decent but the black family (I'll call them the Washingtons) was composed of Mom, Dad, 2 sisters and one 30-year old son with a leisure-suit outfit, repleat with a paisley shirt with the collar OVER the suit jacket. He was definitely an Englewood-Wanna-Be and dumb as a stump.

Well, the families went head-to-head and the Washingtom family won and decided to play in the lightning round.

Richard went through the whole act; kissing all the females and shaking the mens hands.

Holding the question card, Richard asked the question "Name a Famous Rudolph."

Mom went first and said "Rudolph Valentino!" Ding!

Dad looked at Richard and said "Rudolph the Red-Nosed reindeer." Ding!

Sister #1 thinks for a second and says "Rudolph Nureyev." Ding!

Only one more and the Washington Family will win it all and be eligible for the big money final.

Richard looks at Willie (or Rastus or Cleophus or whatever) and repeats the question. "Name a famous Rudolph."

Mr. Leisure-Suit dwells on it for a moment, scratches his head in his best monkey pose and states:
"Rudolph HITLER!!!"

The audience erupts as poor Richard convulses on the stage. Brother Stupid looks puzzled as the audience continues to howl. Finally, Richard, overcome by laughter, motions towards the Big Board, unable to even say "Show me Rudolph Hitler!" as the big red "X" fills the screen.

Richard was absolutely crimson as the show went to commercial.

It was a hoot.

The Keesing Bandit said...

Sword swallower??

I would love to see that one.

Now, kees me you fool!!!!