Saturday, April 14, 2012

Marine Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr., 31, fatally shot by California Orange County Sheriff Deputy is buried in Illinois hometown


The unarmed U.S. Marine who was fatally shot by an Orange County sheriff’s deputy in a darkened high school parking lot in February, was buried Friday afternoon after a service in his hometown of Joliet, Ill.

Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr., 31, was sitting in his white GMC Yukon in the parking lot of San Clemente High School with his two daughters, ages 14 and 9, when a sheriff’s deputy -– who later said he feared for the safety of the girls -– opened fire on him in the predawn dark.

The Sheriff’s Department said Loggins had crashed his SUV through the parking lot gate, acted erratically and ignored the deputy’s orders in the Feb. 7 incident.

Loggins, whose friends described him as a consummate Marine and a deeply religious man, frequently went to the high school track for morning “prayer walks” with his family.

The shooting has driven a wedge between the Marine Corps and sheriff's deputies in San Clemente, a beach town in south Orange County where the uniforms of both are a common sight. Camp Pendleton, where Loggins was based, is nearly adjacent to San Clemente, and sheriff's deputies patrol the city's streets.

Loggins was buried at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., after a service at Refuge Mission United Holy Church of America in Joliet.

The Orange County district attorney’s office is investigating the shooting.
The Loggins family attorney, Brian Dunn, said he expects to file a lawsuit against the Sheriff’s Department within weeks.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Predawn????? there has to be more???? murder suicide maybe???

Anonymous said...

Ok is it more to this I'm confused here.

Anonymous said...

Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whoopin.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate t he government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate...

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the
crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an "ass" whoopin'.....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Anonymous said...

The media reports is total bullshit. Like the deputy walked up and opened fire for no reason. Doubt it. You know this Nigger was in the middle of a HUGE ASS CHIMPOUT with his 2 daughters, showing them how tough he was and religious nut. Now comes the police, chimpout still in progress, Nigger doesnt listen to commands and Nigger advances on police, nigger shot dead by police. End of real story.

I have said it numerous times. When the police tell you what to do, do what they tell you, when they tell you and you get to live another day.

Anonymous said...

He looks like a beady eyed fucking crazy chimpanzee.

Anonymous said...

It reads as if crashing your car through the cemetary gates and chimping out in front of your kids is normal.

Anonymous said...

driven a wedge between the PD and the MC?

Bull - shit !

Beat and release made a post with his thoughts on the subject Feb. 16th

http://beatandrelease.blogspot.com/2012/02/sgt-manuel-loggins-new-info.html

I think he raises some very good questions.

I Voted For Obama said...

It's only sad because his children witnessed it.

Anonymous said...

only harassing me because im black... real meaning... i dont have to listen to the police because i am black... prove me wrong

Anonymous said...

YOU PEOPLE BEING RACIST ON HERE NEED TO STOP. SGT. LOGGINS WAS A US MARINE THAT DEFENDED HIS COUNTRY. HE WAS A GOOD GUY. I KNOW HIM FROM CAMP PENDLETON. HE WAS MURDERED.